Monday, November 7, 2011

October 2011


October - Average Rating = 3.39.

Often when looking at book ratings on sites such as Good Reads or Library Thing, I wonder why books that I love get a low average rating. Well, October answered that question for me. All it takes is a single one-star rating to make a month on the face of it look mediocre at best.  Here's the math behind the average.

Haunting Miss Trentwood by Belinda Kroll
Rating:  1/5 Romance Scale
Source:  Amazon Kindle
Format:  eBook

Haunting Miss Trentwood was the October discussion book at On the Porch Swing (a Yahoo group dedicated to books and reading).  Mere words cannot describe my reaction to this book--and I was the leader of the discussion!

First Line:  At two in the afternoon the coffin of Mary Trentwood's father was lowered to its grave.




Wicked Autumn by G. M. Maillet
Rating:  4/5 Mystery Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  Hardcover

What's not to like about an MI5 agent turned Anglican priest serving at St. Edwold's in the small English village of Nether Monkslip? Against the aftermath of the annual Harvest Fayre put on by the Women's Institute, Max Tudor faces old memories and new challenges as he solves murder of one of the village's prominent citizens. Great first in a new series. I'm looking forward to visiting Nether Monkslip again.

First Line: Wanda Batton-Smythe, head of the Women's Institute of Nether Monkslip, liked to say she was not one to mince words.


Angel's Rest by Emily March
Rating:  3.5/5 Romance Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  eBook

Second chances in life and love are among my favorite romance themes, and Angel's Rest (first in the Eternity Springs series) did not disappoint. These characters got to me right at page 1, and I'm looking forward to more visits to Eternity Springs.

First Line:  Holding a 9 mm Glock in one hand and a tumbler of single-malt scotch in the other, John Gabriel Callahan stared out the mountain home's wall of windows and knew it was time to take a hike.


Death of a Gossip by M. C. Beaton
Rating:  3/5 Mystery Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  Hardcover

Because I enjoy M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series, I decided to try her Hamish MacBeth series. In this first in the series book I was introduced both to MacBeth and to the village of Lochdubh. MacBeth's investigation of the murder at hand allowed for a great introduction to, shall we say, his idiocyncracies. While a terribly clever and unique character, Hamish has yet to charm me. I must read on in the series..

First Line:  "I hate the start of the week," said John Cartwright fretfully.


Rin Tin Tin by Susan Orlean
Rating:  4/5 Non-fiction Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  Hardcover

When reading blog postings and notes about Rin Tin Tin, I came across the observation that you were either a Lassie fan or a Rin Tin Tin fan. I beg to differ as I was both. In the 1950s, if a dog was involved, I read it or watched it--once the Royal Furniture truck pulled up our long driveway to deliver our very first TV. Fascinating read...Yo, Rinty!

First Line:  He believed the dog was immortal.




Against the Fire by Kat Martin
Rating:  3.5/5 Romance Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  eBook


Second in the Raines of Wind Canyon series. Story pulled me in right away. A little tedious through the "I'll ruin his/her life if I stay with him/her" phase, but all in all a good read.

First Line:  The screech of the siren didn't reach him at first.
 
 
Uncommon Grounds by Sandra Balzo
Rating:  4/5 Mystery Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  eBook
 
First in the Maggie Thorson coffee shop mystery series. All the requisite elements for a good cozy--small town, mysterious death, amateur sleuth. I'll continue reading this series.
 
First Line:  I was late the Monday we were scheduled to open Uncommon Grounds.
 
 
As the Pig Turns by M. C. Beaton
Rating:  4/5 Mystery Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  Hardcover
 
Just when you think you can't take any more of Agatha Raisin's tantrums and haughtiness, she says or thinks something that makes you forget why you thought her so odious. And thus, another enjoyable entry in this series from M.C. Beacon.
 
First Line:  Agatha Raisin wearily turned onto the road leading down into her home village of Carsely in the Cotswolds and then came to an abrupt halt.




Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich
Rating:  4/5 Mystery Scale
Source:  Library
Format:  Hardcover
 
All of the usual hijinx you expect from Stephanie and crew. Although, babysitting a bear may transcend "usual."

First Line: My Grandma Mazur called me early this morning.





See what I mean about averages?  Absent that one-star start to the month, it was (on average) a very good reading month! Life being what it has been lately, I'm totally into light, no investment reading. And that's OK. My Kindle is loaded up with lots of romance and mystery books. I just picked up Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos from the library. A mug of tea is just a few minutes away, and my favorite reading chair awaits. I think I'm cocooning my way right into winter....


Nothing whatsoever to do with my October reading report, but... For all Kindlers out there who don't already use this service, I urge you to check out your local library or regional library network to see if they utilize Overdive to loan eBooks on Kindle. The borrowing process could not be easier. Once your hold book is available, just click on the link the library sends you, and a couple more clicks and the book is on your Kindle, ready to read. No downloading to an Adobe interface, connecting device to PC or laptop, dragging and dropping. Nope. None of that. Just like Dorothy's ruby slippers--click, click, and you're home in your comfy chair ready to read.

5 comments:

Les said...

I'm going to be interested to see what you think of Marisa de los Santos new book, Marcia. I read several chapters and finally called it quits. Just couldn't get interested in the characters or their situations. Didn't even bother to mention it on my blog!

Marcia said...

Oh, dear. I was hoping that this third book would be as good as Love Walked In and Belong To Me. Will give it a go and let you know, Les.

Marcia said...

...and sorry to plug a Kindle feature to my favorite Barnes & Noble bookseller. I have a Nook which I got specifically to download library books. Perhaps you could put a bug in someone's ear to make the Nook library connection as seamless as what Kindle offers. :-)

Nan said...

I just today read that my library offers this! That should help with the cost, though lately I've 'bought' some free or 99¢ books.

I'm interested in the Malliet. I'm a huge Hamish fan, but never could get into Agatha Raisin. The Hamish books are great, good, or so-so, but I continue to read them. I love his life in the little police station with his animals.

Marcia said...

I love the Kindle library download feature, Nan. Anyone in Massachusetts with a local library card can get an eCard from the Boston Public Library. The selection of Kindle eBooks for loan at BPL is even better than what is available through my local library. Between that and some carefully selected free and .99ers, I'm in reading heaven!