Monday, August 8, 2011

Frenzied Reading No More!


This morning I rearranged my reading table and surrounding book piles. Today's rearranging was needed to weed out those books due back at the library tomorrow, many of which will be returned partially or wholly unread. Sitting in the midst of book chaos, I realized that a sort of reading frenzy had overtaken me.

Overjoyed with the hours of reading spread out before me as I entered the retired phase of my life a couple of months ago, I went crazy on inter-library loan filling up my request list with all of the books due to come out in May, June, and July. With the proper nod to Murphy's Law, they have all be arriving in large clumps of four's and five's. So I've blown through many of them with the goal of finishing so I could get to the next one. This morning, the backlog burst through the dam. In the resulting flood, I realized that enjoying a book should be my goal, not finishing it on deadline. After all, the day I declared for Social Security, I left 45+ years of deadlines behind me!

So the list of books that tickle my fancy will continue to grow and change, but I will rely more on the serendipity of the books that reach out and grab me as I peruse the library shelves. Add to these unexpected gems my loaded Kindle and Nook together with the piles of books on my reading room floor that have been patiently awaiting my attention for some time, and I'm fixed for book elation until...well, until....

3 comments:

Les said...

This month I'm focusing on books with "sea," "beach," and "summer" in the title. I want summer to last as long as possible! Enjoy your reading.

Nan said...

Isn't that the way! I've pretty much given up going to the library for a while since I've bought quite a few books.
I tried reading Maine, and just couldn't get into it. The people seemed grouchy or unpleasant or something and I just didn't feel like being in their company. :<)

Marcia said...

About Maine, Nan~~I wasn't sure at the start that I would like any of these characters. But is wasn't the individual characters that kept me reading; it was the familial relationship. And Alice got to me--the matriach who clung to appropriateness while her family was begging her to see inappropriateness all around her. She was just so characteristic of a few women in my life who would swear that things like these just don't happen in our family. Then there was the whole Boston Irish Catholic family thing--I felt I "knew" this family.

As we always say, different books for different folks! But, if I could just get you to see what I see in Armand Gamache...